It’s the last week of (functional, if not actual) summer. That’s my busy season at work. I’ll be back on October 1 2015.
I don’t think I really grok creative non-fiction. Having read this explanation of creative non-fiction, I know the basics. It’s the use of literary devices and techniques to tell a factual story. Fair enough. But I still think I don’t actually “get” it. Maybe it’s because I have a bias against memoirs, and often creative non-fiction takes that form?
“Writing saved me from the sin and inconvenience of violence.” – Alice Walker
Reasons We Write
Kinda playing with yesterday`s theme still- why we write
What’s the point of making art?
For what I imagine are reasons of both family and occupational background, I can’t help but question the point of making art. What is the point of creative endeavours when so many people are suffering and our planet is dying? One woman answers the question.
A new word?
I was talking to Robert this morning on the way to work. As is often the case in the morning, my mouth was moving without my brain being fully engaged. Out popped a new word: “jealerous” a combination of “jealous” and “generous.” I think it will be useful.
“75% of my life is spent wasting time. The other 25% isn’t nearly as productive.”
― Jarod Kintz, This Book is Not FOR SALE
“The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.”
If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.
Bad Advice for Writers
The world is full of bad advice. To make matters worse, writing is an endeavour everyone thinks they already know how to do. That seems to intensify the frequency of the bad advice and enhance the mindlessness of the content in an ever-descending downward spiral.
You must be logged in to post a comment.